If we visit the center of Madrid, in the Plaza de las Descalzas Reales, we will find, a beautiful baroque façade, the work of one of the most relevant architects of the first half of the Spanish 18th century, Pedro de Ribera. It was built in 1733, as facade of the chapel of the Ancient Monte de Piedad. One of the jewels of the city, along with the Royal Hospice of San Fernando, the Montserrat church, or the fantastic cover of the Conde Duque Barracks.
History explains why it is located here. The Monte de Piedad was a creation of Francisco Piquer and Rodilla, chaplain of the Descalzas Monastery. Piquer belonged to the Franciscan Order, which probably explains his knowledge of the foundations of the Monte de Piedad, since in Italy the pawnshop They were started by the same Franciscan monks centuries before, as a way to fight against usury and get some relief for those most in need. On December 3, 1702, Piquer decided to establish a charitable establishment in Madrid that, like the “Lombard houses” of the Monte di Pietà, existing in Italy, would provide the needy classes with low-interest loans on jewelry, clothing and other items. similar goods.
The relationship with Convent of the Descalzas Reales It was very narrow. There was even an arch that connected the house itself with the Monastery. From 1713 onwards it was renamed the Sacred and Royal Mount of Piety of the Blessed Souls of Purgatory, which since then remained under royal patronage.
On February 12, 1713, Philip V formalized the founding of the institution, and granted it some houses in the Plaza de las Descalzas to install its offices, which opened to the public on May 1, 1724. Of the complex, the attached chapel stood out, for access to which, Pedro de Ribera made the beautiful baroque doorway that we enjoy today, in 1733.
Later, by Royal Decree of October 23, 1838, the Madrid Savings Bank was created within this building, an institution promoted by the widowed marquis of Pontejos, the financier Francisco de Acebal y Azrratía, and Romans Innkeeper, ended up merging with Monte de Piedad in 1869.
In 1892, two statues of the creators of the Monte de Piedad and the Madrid Savings Bank were installed, that of Francisco Piquer, the work of José Alcovero Borrós and that of the widowed Marquis of Pontejos, Joaquín Vizcaíno and Martínez Moles, the work of Medardo Sanmartí.
In the 1960s, just over 50 years ago, the Caja de Ahorros y Monte de Piedad decided to demolish the building in the Plaza de las Descalzas to build a new one, a disaster for the heritage, which fortunately was not total since The Ribera doorway was placed on the rear façade, as a reminder of the original building.
A real shame since this square that could have been one of the most beautiful in Madrid has suffered some recent abuses that detract from it, not only this demolition, but also the construction of an underground parking lot with unfortunate accesses for both vehicles and pedestrians that make it terribly ugly. the entire square.
A abrazo.






















Leave a Comment